If you really need to know what God cannot stand before him or accept from His children, He provided a list just for you. It is located in Proverbs 6:16-19 and the NIV states it as
There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lives and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.
The Message words it even better, I think.
Here are six things God hates, and one more that he loathes with a passion: eyes that are arrogant, a tongue that lies, hands that murder the innocent, a heart that hatches evil plots, feet that race down a wicked track, a mouth that lies under oath, a troublemaker in the family.
Let us dig deeper into these.
1. Haughty eyes – arrogant eyes —- What exactly does this mean? This is referring to the arrogant look many people carry with them. They are the ones who by their looks alone tell you that they are superior to you and are more righteous than anyone else. You would do well to heed their orders and ignore God’s (sarcasm in case you missed that). Arrogance is the opposite of humility, and humility is what God desires. When one is arrogant, they begin to think more highly of themselves than they should. They forget that they are imperfect and need to continue growing. They forget that God forgives and so should they. They forget that they are mere mortals and God is the ultimate Creator. They begin to believe lies about themselves and before long start to challenge God. Psalm 5:5 says “The arrogant cannot stand in your (God’s) presence.” There was one being whose haughty eyes cost him everything when he challenged God– Lucifer. Arrogance can get you nowhere real fast.
2. Lying tongue —– A tongue that cannot or will not tell the truth is a dangerous thing. When lies come out, the mouth is impure. When lies come out, nothing good can come of it. When lies come out, you soil yourself and destroy relationships. Lies are destructive and therefore are not acceptable to God. Colossians 3:9 says “Do not lie to each other.” 1 John 2:21 says that “no lie comes from the truth”. When someone lies, they are the ones who ultimately will look the fool and fault will fall on their head. There is no honor in lies and there is no trust there. There is no success for a liar.
3. Hands that murder the innocent —— I think many of us would agree on this. To take the life of an innocent is horrible. This exposes a degree of wickedness that can turn the hardest stomach. When innocents die, justice cries out. But this does open the discussion of what to do with the guilty. This can lead to a very controversial topic so I will just leave one comment on it: I would just warn you that innocence or guilt should not be presumed but factual. Are you worthy enough to announce judgment?
4. Plotting evil plots and schemes —– Someone who deliberately sets out to cause bad things to happen is not a nice person. When you deliberately lie to hurt someone or cause events that ultimately hurt someone, you are plotting. When you come up with ways to hide your guilt, you are plotting. When you deliberately plan to steal, you are plotting. When you deliberately cause someone to look bad, you are plotting. When anything harmful and sinful is done deliberately, it is schemed.
5. Rushing into doing wrong—– When you know something is wrong, and quickly get into it anyway, you are guilty of this. What makes this so bad is the fact that you know up front that it is wrong. You might rationalize it and give yourself reasons on why you have no choice, you have to do this, it was beyond your control…… No! When you knowingly go into sinning and do it rather quickly before you change your mind, this is another way of thumbing your nose up at God. Why on earth would you think that He would like that?
6. Perjury ——This is knowing lying while under oath. It has already been stated that just plain old lying is totally unacceptable. What makes this deserve a category of its own? It is done using the name of God as a shield. When one is stating anything under oath, it is usually done using God’s name. How much more of an insult to Him can you than that? Knowingly lying while name dropping the most renown and powerful name is beyond the lowest of lows.
7. Troublemaker in the family—–This is one everyone is familiar with and who knows you might be that person. The troublemaker is the one who when they are on the scene arguments tend to develop, hurt feelings always end the night, self-esteems plummet, dread of your attendance, relationships damaged, trust smashed, depression. Think that I’m going a little over board? Think of who you would label a troublemaker in your family. There is always one so don’t try to convince yourself that there isn’t. They are the ones that emotional disaster always seems to surround. I know a few. They are the ones determined to steal the joy at every family gathering. They are the ones who more than likely will not participate in any activities. They are the ones that bring you down so quickly. Why are they so bad? After all, they are family. Well, this is really bad because the ones who go about causing trouble in a family whether it is the immediate or extended, is that they are trying to rip apart what God, Himself, has created. We can choose friends, jobs, and where we live, but we cannot choose family. He has done that for us. They might irritate and drive you nuts but He knew ahead of time the personalities and still created a unique unit. What we do with that unit is up to us and our devotion to being a good steward of God. When we go in and start to cause problems and rips in this unit, we are telling God that we do not approve of His creation and that we will be taking over from here. Whoa! That’s loaded. A troublemaker in the family is very dangerous.
The question now becomes “Where are you in this list?”
Are you guilty of arrogance? Very few are not. What do you plan to do about getting a little humility?
Are you guilty of lying? Even little white lies are included here so that pretty much includes us all. What do you plan to do about stopping this?
Are you guilty of killing someone innocent? Not many can answer yes. But if you do answer yes to this, please repent and seek God’s mercy.
Are you guilty of scheming? Many can say yes to this even though they might try to deny at first. What are you going to do about it?
Are you guilty of willingly sinning and quickly doing it anyway? Anytime you knowingly light a cigarette in the same five minutes that you say that you know it is wrong but you don’t want to stop. Anytime you knowingly gossip when you just left a study that taught against it. What are you going to do about it?
Are you guilty of perjury? You don’t have to be in a court of law to be guilty of this. If you at any time, say “I Swear” you are guilty of perjury. What are you going to do about it?
Are you guilty of being the troublemaker? Would others say that you cause many of the problems in the family? Then what are you going to do about it?